ENGIE Fabricom HAZID/HAZOP Study Packages
HAZID (Hazard Identification)
A HAZID is generally carried out in the early stages of a project, usually at conceptual or feasibility study when process flow and parameters are established. The purpose of a HAZID is to identify significant hazards that may be presented by the process (fire, explosion, toxic chemicals, etc.) and external factors that may affect the process (e.g. weather, traffic movements, etc.) and the potential consequences of such hazards.
The HAZID is used to identify the required safeguards that need to be employed to reduce the risks associated with the identified hazards.
It is carried out in a group format with a dedicated, independent chairperson and a team of relevant discipline engineers with sufficient knowledge of the process and the establishment.
HAZOP (Hazard and Operability Studies)
In the Energy, Chemical and Process Industries, HAZOPs are viewed as the primary hazard analysis method in the process safety canon.
A HAZOP is a systematic review of the process to identify credible deviations from the design intent and to identify the potential consequences and mitigations associated with such an event.
The HAZOP should be directed by an independent chairperson who is able to encourage and facilitate input from all of the team members, in order that all foreseeable deviations are addressed.
The HAZOP team should comprise of competent representatives from the pertinent disciplines who have sufficient knowledge of the process design, equipment and plant operation to be able to evaluate the risks associated with each scenario.
When to do a HAZOP?
For new installations, a HAZOP should be carried out early in the design phase of a project, after the process design has been finalised and before detailed design (e.g. at the end of FEED).
For existing plant and processes, HAZOP may also be employed as part of the Management of Change process in the assessment of process design changes, and as part of a periodic systems review e.g. the 5 yearly COMAH submission.
What can we offer?
We offer a full range of HAZOP support packages to meet our clients’ needs:
- Provision of an IChemE trained HAZOP chairperson, scribe and specialist engineers as necessary to carry out the study
- HAZOP study from a single node through to full plant multiple-node HAZOP
- Location to suit the client’s requirement; this can be at the client’s site or offices (UK or overseas), or from our Head Office in Grimsby
- HAZOP recording and format to meet the client’s requirement; using client HAZOP tools and methodology or providing our own approach using industry recognised specialist software
- Final HAZOP report with conclusions and recommendations
- Technical engineers to develop solutions to close out actions raised, if required